Plan of Service - Section 4
FIVE –YEAR LIBRARY SYSTEM PLAN OF SERVICE
January 1, 2007 – December 31, 2011
Section 4- Description of planning, approval, evaluation and revision process for all sections of the Plan of Service
4.1 Describe the process used to assess member needs in the development of the system’s Plan of Service.
- 2005. Member libraries provided information through annual evaluation of System services.
- 2005/06. In cooperation with 10 member libraries seven focus groups for community members were conducted to establish how residents view and use libraries now and gather suggestions for future library services.
- February, 2006. Five focus groups (three for member library directors and staff; two for STLS staff) were conducted by consultant Patricia Stocker.
- April/June, 2006. Plan of Service and Central Library Advisory Committees discussed member needs.
4.2 Identify the groups involved in development of the Plan of Service and each group’s role.
- Member Library Directors and Staff identified System services most valued, most used and most essential.
- System Staff identified strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats. Staff also reviewed the results of member focus group discussion.
- System Management Team recommended goals and action steps.
- Plan of Service Advisory Committee members recommended service priorities and reviewed staff recommendations. The committee included member library directors, STLS Trustees and system staff.
- Allegany, Schuyler and Southern Tier Directors Associations discussed the plan.
- Member Library Directors and Board Presidents received copies of draft plan of service for comment.
4.3 Describe the planning process for the 2007-2011 Central Library Plan
- 2005/06. Member Libraries provided feedback via e-mail and through the annual evaluation of system services.
- May June, 2006. Central Library Advisory Committee met and made recommendations.
- June, 2006. Draft plan developed and reviewed by Plan of Service Advisory Committee.
- August, 2006. Draft plan was distributed to library directors and Board Presidents for comment.
4.4 Identify the groups involved in development of the Central Library Plan and each group’s role.
- Member Libraries provided feedback via e-mail and through the annual system survey.
- Central Library Advisory Committee recommended electronic resource products based on evaluations and perceived information needs of patrons, advised on transition from print to electronic format material, and suggested topics for continuing education workshops. The Committee also reviewed the draft plan.
- Central Library staff actively participated on the advisory committee and developed a draft plan.
- Allegany and Southern Tier Directors Associations discussed the plan.
- Library Directors and Board Presidents received copies of the draft plan for comment.
4.5 Describe the integration of the 2007-2011 Central Library Plan with the system’s Plan of Service
- Central Library Staff participated in both the Central Library and Plan of Service Advisory committees.
- Plan of Service Advisory Committee discussed Central Library Services and reviewed the draft plan of service.
- In addition to specific Central Library services, the Plan recognizes the role of the Central Library in supporting such areas as Cooperative Collection Development, Virtual Reference and Continuing Education.
4.7 Briefly describe the process for approval of the Plan of Service.
- Directors and staff members established service priorities through participation in focus groups.
- Focus group summaries, committee notes and draft plans were posted on the System website.
- Directors, System staff and STLS trustees participated on the Plan of Service and Central Library Advisory Committees.
- Information was distributed via e-mail, print, and at meetings.
- Directors and Board Presidents were provided copies of the draft plan for comment and review.
- The Southern Tier Library System Board of Trustees approved the plan at its September 19, 2006 meeting.
4.8 Briefly describe the information that will be collected to evaluate whether or not the system achieved the intended results of the plan.
In order to evaluate whether or not STLS achieved the intended results, STLS will collect:
- Member library responses to annual evaluation of System services
- Committee meeting notes
- Comments from users
- Online evaluations
4.9 Briefly describe the methods that will be used to determine whether the system’s customers were satisfied with the system’s services.
- The primary method used to determine whether System customers are satisfied will be the annual member library evaluation of System services.
- Other methods will include meeting notes, telephone calls and e-mails, and observations.
4.10 Briefly describe how the information on customer satisfaction will be used to shape the system’s plan in the next year or in the following planning cycle.
System services will be reviewed and maintained, revised, expanded or eliminated as a result of customer response.
4.11 Briefly describe the process for revising the system’s Plan of Service for submission to the New York Education Department/New York State Library.
Future revisions of this proposed Plan of Service will be based on the needs of member libraries and the financial resources available. Revisions will be proposed as a result of meetings and discussion with member libraries, member trustees and STLS staff and trustees.